What is bruxism and what effect does it have on your life? Bruxism, also referred to as teeth grinding, is the condition of regularly grinding and gnashing your teeth, often while unconscious. One of the most common forms of bruxism, sleep bruxism, typically occurs while you are asleep and can often go undiagnosed for long periods of time. If your smile ever feels changed or “off” when you wake up, look for these signs and symptoms of bruxism:
– You experience headaches and earaches.
– Your teeth might appear flat or dull from bruxism damage or even chipped and cracked with no explanation of how the damage got there.
– Query a sleep partner or roommate if you clench your teeth loudly while you sleep.
– Bruxism can cause other conditions such as TMJ disorders.
– Your tongue has unusual indents and your cheek tissue shows signs of damage.
– Your teeth may be extra sensitive and painful to the touch.
– You notice jaw soreness and face pain when you wake up.
Our team at James T. Voorhees, DDS specializes in a variety of dentistry procedures to suit all your needs, including treating bruxism. If you would like an oral exam from Dr. James Voorhees, please book an appointment to come see us at our dental office in Lenexa, Kansas. We can be reached at 913-888-2474. We are here to help you get the healthy smile of your dreams!