Can you prevent cavities from forming? Cavities are the result of damaged tooth enamel to the point that a hole has formed in a tooth. Although your tooth enamel is a very durable protective layer of your teeth, it can be damaged as the result of plaque buildup and harmful acids. So, if a cavity should form, your tooth’s pulp will be at an increased risk for infection and decay.
If cavities are left untreated, unfortunately, tooth loss can occur. Listed below are a few common tips to help you thwart cavities:
– Avoid foods and drinks that are sticky and chewy, as they can linger in your mouth long after you’ve consumed them and can continue to damage your teeth and gums.
– Avoid sugars and acidic foods and stick to a tooth-healthy diet including foods that have a high water content.
– When choosing a toothbrush and dental floss, use products that are approved by your dentist or feature the ADA Seal of Acceptance.
– Try using additional dental cleaners after meals, such as mouthwash.
– Always attend your scheduled checkups and professional cleanings at your dentist so that they can scrutinize your smile for cavities.
– Cavities can ensue at any time, so remember to brush and floss daily for the entirety of your life.
For any additional questions or concerns, James T. Voorhees, DDS is here to help you with all your oral health care needs. For a complete diagnosis from Dr. James Voorhees and our team at our dentist office in Lenexa, Kansas, you can schedule an appointment by calling us at 913-888-2474. We look forward to having you as our guest soon.